Transition Services & PlanningReading Time: 1 minute
The Gengras Center operates under a double timeline: weâ€™re driven to improve today, and weâ€™re driven to improve tomorrow. Our transition services are extensive and include all aspects of the student’s life now and into the future. Starting at age 15, planning begins with the family, student and educational team. As the years pass, and the move from high school to post school services comes closer, we encourage families to explore options while working closely with the student to increase independence, self-advocacy and safety awareness.
A Quick Summary of Transition
- Transition services are intended to prepare students to move from the high school to the next phase of life.
- Transition planning begins during high school no later than the student’s 16th birthday.
- A transition plan is a part of the Individualized Education Program (IEP).
- In transition planning, covers areas such as post secondary education or vocational training, employment, independent living, and community participation.
- Transition services are based on the studentâ€™s needs and must take into account his or her preferences and interests.
As our students near their 18th birthday we help their families to:
- Apply for guardianship
- Apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Apply for Medicaid (Title XIX)